Sunday 9 October 2011

Thanksgiving

This is the Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend so today I thought I would blog about things I am thankful for with regards to the furry members of my home.  I should probably start with the fact that I am thankful for a loving husband that indulges my love for all the animals :o).

"They" say we always get the dog we need not always the dog we want and that has been true with Riley.  He is our second dog and we got him when Lucy was ten.  Riley was a very mellow pup especially when compared to Lucy who was a crazy puppy.   Lucy had a few issues over the years so we were determined to do things better this time around.  We did puppy classes, socializing like crazy, obedience classes etc.  All of those went very well but still at about 1.5 years of age Riley entered the dreaded teenager horrible phase where he seem to realize how big he was and he started to be agressive with other dogs plus ignoring all he had learned.  Like many other people I lived in a state of denial for a while, then had a total meltdown one bad weekend when he was a total jerk while visiting friends.  I then decided to put on my "big girl panties" and began to research dog training and behaviour and also began working with a trainer.   It didn't take very long for things to change and Riley reverted back to the lovable, goofy boy we loved.  Today the only time we really have to watch for any issues with other dogs is if he is in a over-excited state which is easy to manage.  All those events ignited a love for dog training and dog sports that have improved my relationship with Riley and given me a new hobby.  I am thankful for this wonderful, goofy, intense dog that makes me laugh most days but never lets me forget that he needs to work to be a "good" dog.


Riley and I at Lake Louise this summer

Stella is our new addition and I am thankful for her happy puppy enthusiasm.   She is a smart little girl who loves to learn and I am having so much fun putting to use some of the lessons learned in the past few years with Riley.  She cracks me up constantly with her zooms and sound effects.  She has a much different personality than Riley.  She is way "softer" but still has wonderful confidence.  I am thankful for the chance to help shape her personality and grow together in future dog endeavours.

Stella approx 12 weeks

We also have two cats.  Desi is a true "cat" personality and Fred thinks he is more like a dog.   A house really isn't a home without cats and I am thankful to have these wonderful creatures love me and be partof our home.


Animals enrich our lives in many ways and I am thankful for the opportunity and ability to be able to provide appropriate care for the animals in my life in the best way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment